At Gear Up Cyclery, Quality Control begins with professional personnel and training but does not end there. We have invested in our Service Department and offer a well-trained and competent mechanical staff and facility. Quality Control also depends upon high quality products. Gear Up works with only the best suppliers and dealers in the industry with a reputation for quality and service. Names like Specialized, Electra, HP Velotechnik, TerraTrike, Shimano, SRAM, Park Tool, Quality Bicycle Products and Hawley setting the standard for quality throughout the country and world-wide.
But mostly, Quality Control is an attitude and a process. Elements include:
- Professional standards and practices. Repair information resources make daily appearances at Gear Up. From manufacturers’ YouTube videos to the Barnett Manual to Sutherland’s Handbook and the Park Tool Big Blue Book… we use these every day to inform our work.
- The right tools. Proper and safe bicycle assembly and repair requires specialty tools. Gear Up already has them or will get them for your repair if needed. Park Tool, symbolized by their blue handles, is the standard in any good bicycle shop. We also source specialty tools through such suppliers as United Bicycle Supply… tools from manufacturers like Bicycle Research, Var, Hozan, and Stein. Torque wrenches are part of our daily work.
- Clean parts. Clean parts work better. Gear Up has a dedicated area for parts cleaning stocked with all the solvents, tools and supplies necessary to do the job properly. For many projects we use an ultrasonic parts cleaning process with a specialty unit from Crest Ultrasonics. Adapted from the firearms industry, this is the ultimate in parts cleaning technology.
- Checking our work. We all make mistakes or overlook things – even the best bicycle mechanics. The trick is to make sure that all mechanical projects, whether a new bike build or a repair, are safe and complete BEFORE they get to the customer. Here at Gear Up all work is checked by a second person, in detail, before it leaves the Service Department. This is done by the Service Manager or assigned to another of our trained mechanics.
- Customer access. Our repair shop is in sight of the customer. There is nothing going on behind the scenes that isn’t within full view – with the possible messy exception of cleaning parts. Customers are free to converse with the service personnel about their project, ask questions, and watch the process take place in the open shop.
You can be assured that your bike will receive the time, care and attention it deserves at Gear Up Cyclery.